Thursday, January 15, 2009

The American Nightingale...

Ok, its only a Mockingbird, but I love that it's called the American Nightingale!
Did you Know:
The "American nightingale," the Northern Mockingbird is known for its long, complex songs that include imitations of many other birds. It is a common bird of hedgerows and suburbs, and has been slowly expanding its range northward. The song is a series of varied phrases, with each phrase repeated many times in a row. Includes much mimicry of other bird songs and calls. Call a harsh dry "chew." listen to songs of this species
The Northern Mockingbird frequently gives a "wing flash" display, where it half or fully opens its wings in jerky intermediate steps, showing off the big white patches. No one knows why it does this behavior, but some have suggested that it startles insects into revealing themselves. However, it does not appear to flush insects, and other mockingbird species that do not have white wing patches use the display, casting doubt on this idea.
The Northern Mockingbird is a loud and persistent singer. It sings all through the day, and often into the night. Most nocturnal singers are unmated males, which sing more than mated males during the day too. Nighttime singing is more common during the full moon. In well-lit areas around people, even mated males may sing at night. A Northern Mockingbird continues to add new sounds to its song repertoire throughout its life.
The female Northern Mockingbird sings too, although usually more quietly than the male does. She rarely sings in the summer, usually only when the male is away from the territory. She sings more in the fall, perhaps to establish a winter territory.

Did you know research from the Cornell Lab of Ornithology.


Thanks for the visit, I look forward to your comments,

Craig

17 comments:

Shellmo said...

Nice photos - I like the mockingbird. I admire its "mocking" skills!!

Tina said...

Craig,
A very nice bird, indeed, and so photogenic with such peaceful looking eyes! I love the mocker..and recently have had one show up at our feeders! Nice post!

Leedra said...

He blends so well with the background. Glad you showed us the closeup.

Photography By Leedra

Leedra’s Photos For Fun

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Oh,to hear the birds again.It is so cold here that even the resident birds don't sing as much as usual.Thanks for sharing the pictures and info. Blessings,Ruth

letspaintnature.com said...

Great photos of the mockingbird! You know, I can't remember when I saw one last...hope it will be soon. Great idea to put his sound in there too!
Chris

jalynn01 said...

Craig, I started to comment and it just posted on its own. Yikes. I wanted to say that N. Mockingbirds are such great birds. Everything you wrote is true. They sure sing a lot of songs, and are very fond of fruit. I got one eating grapes today at the feeder. Many different poses and his tongue sticking out. I love your two little squirrels on the last post too!

dAwN said...

Howdee...
I love to listen to mockingbirds...
we recently saw a mockingbird at Green Cay here in Florida...it was very strange had a longer hooked bill...we didn't have our scope to digiscope it...went back today and didn't see it...i think we will try one more time..and maybe i can get a photo to post...

HANNIBAL said...

Fascinating bird! Thanks for the info along with great pictures! I love the mockingbird!

Steve B said...

Wow, I didn't know a lot of this stuff. In Long Beach, California, the Mockingbirds would sing ~all...night...long~, and back here in Gloucester, Ma, I hardly would know we have one hanging about.

Those of us that bird by ear have to be carefull sometimes when Mockingbirds are around. "Hey, why is there a Killdeer calling from that tree?" Doh!

Darla said...

Mockingbirds are mean here!

Bird Girl said...

Mockingbirds are fun - yes they are bigger than lots of the feeder birds - so they can bully - but they are so neat! Love that first shot! Don't they have the nicest eyes? And I didn't know they are called 'the American Nightingale' - thanks!

Cindy Lenker said...

Oh my gracious! I have learned from reading about your Mockingbird sighting, that what I thought were Mockingbirds, are Brown Thrashers!! I will have to correct my blog post. Thanks Craig!

Karen Broman said...

Thanks for the info! The last four nights, a mockingbird near me has been singing all night long... he must be exhausted during the day! You have helped answer many questions I had on that, as I have never heard this happen before. Thanks!-Karen

karen said...

Nice blog post. Saw you on Twitter. Thought I'd check you out...not disappointed!! Welcome to my world!

Louise Marie said...

A chat friend of mine gave me a link to your site. I am so glad that she did because now i think i know who is singing outside my window all night long. For about 2 to 3 weeks now i have had a bird singing from about midnight to early am hours. I never heard anything like it. Very loud and clear with a large repertoire of music and chants. At first i was worried about him, but his notes are not anxious or frightened. In fact, they are more lighthearted and chirpy. Lovely lovely sounds. When my dogs and i go out and turn the lights on and make all kinds of noise, he never misses a beat. He just keeps singing. i have not seen him, because it is dark up in the tree. So, do you think this is a mockingbird?

Louise Marie said...

i am the one who wrote about the bird singing outside my window all night long. Someone else said this bird could be a whiperwill. What do you think?
Louise Marie

Craig Glenn said...

Hi Louise, welcome to my blog.

Could be a Mocking bird, but also maybe a brown thrasher. I will try to find a link for you to listen to there songs. Try going to http://allaboutbirds.com you should find a song link there. If you can't find it let me know.

Thanks for stopping by,
Craig