Sunday, February 15, 2009

Grackel

I wanted to share these Grackel photos from last week. I also hope someone will help me out with the correct Grackel ID. I seem to be struggling with the Grackel family. I did notice the yellow eyes though. I believe this is the Common Grackle. What do you think?


I cut through the Applebee's parking lot on my way to the historic Maitland Cemetary that is only a couple blocks from work while out on my daily lunch walk. I saw this guy and was able to get a shot of him calling.



Then I was hoping to get some of that color from his feathers and the sun...


Ok, nice. Now people are starting to stare because I was standing next to the garbage can's pointing a camera up in the sky. I figured somebody would make enough noices to scare this one off his perch and I hoped to get a flight shot. Sure enough someone slamed their car door and I took the shot. Not perferct focus, but cool wings! Be sure to click and enlarge.


Thanks for stopping by.

Craig

14 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Good catch Craig!! You think people were staring at you? Wait till you crawl out from under a bush while photographing a bug and see the expression on their faces, then you will know what "staring" is. LOL!!

Kallen305 said...

LOL about people staring at you as you are taking picture. I get that all the time and am learning to accept the fact that I probably appear rather odd to the general population.

I have not seen a grackel since last year. I love the one you got w/ it in flight. Nice wing span on that bird.

Shellmo said...

I agree that it's a common grackle! Love the flight shots!

Richard said...

The one in the bush I agree is the Common Grackle bu6t the others I'm not sure about. They may even be the Boat-tailed Grackle. The tail feathers sure seem to be longer and the bird bigger. Just a thought.

jalynn01 said...

I have to admit I do not know my 'grackles' but I love the flight photo and when the sun shines on them they are really pretty. Thanks!

Bird Girl said...

Hey - love that last shot in flight - what a gorgeous wing design!!!

Salty said...

I agree with you on the first and I think the second is the boat-tail. Flight shot are fun and beautiful but not easy, shoot a lot, keep a few.
Actually you hit focus pretty good in your flight shot and motion blurred his wing tips which isn't a bad thing, good shot!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

That flight photo is great.
Blessings,Ruth

In the garden said...

Craig I have these too and have always called them common grackles. Your flight shot is great.

Craig Glenn said...

Thanks everyone for stopping by and your very kind comments. I really appreciate you taking time to comment.

Craig

dAwN said...

Great Grackle Gets...

Leedra said...

Love that last photo, it is great!

Leedra’s Photos For Fun

Leedra’s Greeting Cards

Photography By Leedra

Anonymous said...

Yes Sir, you got yourself a Male Grackel here. The female Grackel is smaller and they do not have the fantail like the male. I live in Texas and they are fast becoming a real pest. They steal dog food from your porch and make a "mess" all over your car and truck.

Anonymous said...

OMG, great pics but why not get some pics of something beautiful. Grackles are hateful things. They take over everything and run off the good birds. Eat all the food and squawk incessantly. Ruin spring here every year. We are in central IL. I have a yard and neighborhood full and can think of nothing more satisfying than shooting them. You are welcome to come and take mine away. Please