Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Red-Bellied Blue Jay...

I thought that would get your attention!

Believe it or not this is the first post of a bird captured in my own yard. Everything I have posted to this point has been from my work walks for day trips to special parks. Maureen and I have been working to bring birds into our yard an learn how to position the feeders in order to get good shots for the blog. We are very excited about the spring and summer and attracting as many birds as we can. I saw nice hawk flying around today out the back door. I guess the truth is we did have one post with a hawk from the back yard, it was one of my first and I didn't take the photo, Maureen did. It is the post entitled "Frog leggs anyone?". Give it a look if you have time.

In the mean time I hope you enjoy this photo of a Blue Jay and Red-Bellied Woodpecker.


Thanks for stopping by,

Craig

11 comments:

Regina Marie said...

Wow, you must be so excited to get these guys in your yard like that! Must be a nice mix of feed too! I spotted a couple hawks the other day and I wouldn't mind getting picture-
Great shot-

Kallen305 said...

Awesome photo. I love how you were able to get both of them in one shot. You will have plenty of birds at your feeders in no time. It takes a while but once they discover it, they never leave. ;o)

Craig Glenn said...

SAPhotographs (Joan) http://saphotographs.blogspot.com

One of the things to remember when trying to attract birds to your garden is to attract the insects first which bring the birds. :) Then you can start taking bug pictures also. LOL!!

Yip, as you have gathered, I cannot get onto your blog again. :) Thanks you for transfering my previos anser over. :)

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Great capture.Looking forward to seeing many more photos taken from your yard.
Blessings,Ruth

Tina said...

Craig,
Congrats on your first "backyard" picture..very exciting for you I'm sure! I remember your hawk and frog legs at the swimming pool pics!! I love your feeder esp the wire sculpture of the squirrel at the top..neat!
What a capture!.. the jay and the red-bellied on the feeder at the same tme! I find our red-bellies are very nervous and flighty..hard to get in the lens for more than a second!!
Keep those pics coming!!

jalynn01 said...

Good for you Craig! It is so exciting to attract the birds to your yard, and so much more exciting when you can get pictures. Birds love cover so position your feeders near bushes or plant bushes near your feeders... I have a lilac and a forsythia where they just love to rest in between feeder visits.I'm looking forward to more fun from your backyard!

Denise said...

This is a wonderful 'first'. I like your feeder and hanger too. You have some very nice bird-feeding stations. Roll on Spring for so many reasons, but birds are right up there on my list. Thanks for the lovely share.

david mcmahon said...

Well done, hawkeye!

Darla said...

Great photo! Be careful this bird watching, feeding, photographing is addictive! LOL

Bird Girl said...

Hey - good for you! Captured two great birds at one time! Love that feeder, too!

Leedra said...

The Blue Jay must be afraid of the Woodpecker, since he is waiting for the Woodpecker to finish.

Leedra’s Photos For Fun

Leedra’s Greeting Cards

Photography By Leedra