Thursday, March 26, 2009

American Goldfinch Putting on the breaks



Don't miss the last shot. One more flight shot.

Did you know:

The American Goldfinch changes from winter plumage to breeding plumage by a complete molt of its body feathers. It is the only member of its family to have this second molt in the spring; all the other species have just one molt each year in the fall.






The American Goldfinch is one of the latest nesting birds. It usually does not start until late June or early July, when most other songbirds are finishing with breeding. The late timing may be related to the availability of suitable nesting materials and seeds for feeding young.



Did you know research from the Cornell Lab of Ornithology.


Thanks for stopping by,

Craig Glenn

15 comments:

Tink *~*~* said...

Hi Craig -

Love the goldfinches - my father used to call them "those wild canaries". It's going to be a few years yet till I can attract a lot of songbirds to this development - all the trees are so tiny, there's really not a whole heck of a lot of place for them to hang out!

Thanks for your kind remarks last week. It really lifted me up to hear some praise for my efforts. I have you in my Google Reader, in my "Florida Bloggers" folder.

TGIF!
Tink *~*~*
Fort Myers Beach Moon

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Lots of bords.That last shot is really good.
Blessings,Ruth

Leedra said...

They have that seed flying as much as the Goldfinch are flying. Great capture.

Leedra’s Photos For Fun

Leedra’s Greeting Cards

Photography By Leedra

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Oh you caught that one just right Craig!!

Kallen305 said...

You get a lot of goldfinches at your feeder. Love how yellow they are getting!

Shellmo said...

Even while they're molting, they're still beautiful and cheerful! Loved the last shot too of all the crew!

Dave's Bird Watching Blog said...

Looks like it's raining thistle seed on them!

Eve said...

Great info Craig. I love that sweet duck header!

Bird Girl said...

Your Goldfinch are eating you out of house and home...you better pray that flock of siskins doesn't arrive ;-) Love the one coming in for a landing!

Philip said...

Graig excellent shots Lad that one in mid Air cool, interesting facts about the gold finch :)

Salty said...

That is one heck of a busy bunch of Goldfinches Craig. I like how you captured all of the seed flying through the air. Good flight capture too!

I expect it will be a while until our males change to breeding plumage here in Pa.

david mcmahon said...

Two in one season? I didn't know that!

The Muse said...

We have the first pair .... :) that's right the first we have seen here in 30 years!

Lets Paint Nature said...

I love these little guys! Your pictures are great, I love the one coming in for a landing on the feeder!
Chris

Anonymous said...

I live in centra PA and have a lot of Goldfinch's all year long. However, I have found 4 dead from Dec. of last year until now. There is one dying in my yard as i write, he doesnt seem injured. My friend said he found some this year also. Is this mormal?

Orv