Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Bottoms up

Red-Bellied Woodpecker

Did you Know:

The most common woodpecker in the Southeast, the Red-bellied Woodpecker is a familiar sight at bird feeders and in backyards. Yes, its belly is covered in a light red wash. But this woodpecker is easier to spot by the red on the back and top of its head.


The Red-bellied Woodpecker competes vigorously for nest holes with other woodpeckers, in one case even dragging a Red-cockaded Woodpecker from a nest cavity and killing it. But it is often evicted from nest holes by the European Starling. In some areas, half of all Red-bellied Woodpecker nesting cavities are taken over by starlings.


Stores food in cracks and crevices of trees and fence posts. The woodpecker does not appear to defend its caches from other birds or mammals.



The male Red-bellied Woodpecker has a longer bill and a longer, wider tongue tip than the female. These adaptations may allow the male to reach deeper into furrows to extract prey and may allow the sexes to divide up the resources in one area.




Did you know research from the Cornell Lab of Ornithology.

Thanks for stopping by,

Craig Glenn

15 comments:

Leedra said...

Beautiful male Red Bellied. Nice photos.

Leedra’s Photos For FunLeedra’s Greeting CardsPhotography By Leedra

jalynn01 said...

I'm so glad you got the Redbelly to come to your oranges. I love to see them eating mine! And I missed your lizard post...I really liked it too.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

These pictures are great identification tools.
You show the red belly of this bird so well,as well as the top side of it.Great shots.
Blessings,Ruth

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Lovely pics Craig. Some of your species of woodpeckers look the same as ours except they are very shy and I hear them but never get to photograph them.

dAwN said...

Craig..
that is a very interesting bird feeder you have there. Great places to put all the birdie goodies.

Dale Forbes said...

craig, does this woodpecker normally have the pale red blush on its cheeks or is that from digging in to red places?

many of the southern African weavers get confusingly red faces in when the Aloes are in flower and they stick their heads down the throat of the flowers - very cute make-up indeed.

btw, I just added your blog to my blogroll.

Happy birding
Dale
http://alpinebirds.blogspot.com

Bird Girl said...

Looks like the red-belly wp's are having a blast! Your really captured the red on the belly in a couple of those shots - I like the whole set up - very cool!

Tina said...

Craig,
That bird feeder has it all. Plenty of places to feed everyone!! Great shots of those red-bellied wps!

Elaine said...

Craig, thanks for stopping by my blog. I enjoyed browsing through your photos. You have some great shots, and I enjoyed seeing photos of birds that never make it near Alaska!

Salty said...

Nice shots Craig. These are one of my favorite winter birds. We have them all years but they are easier to see when the leaves are off the trees.

Steve B said...

They seem to have moved further north. I never saw them when I lived in the east 20 years ago, now they are fairly common.

The Muse said...

They are everywhere here...I love hearing them in the woodland hills! :)
Great feeder system there Craig!

Sara G said...

Awesome photos and what a cool feeder. I would love to find something like that to put in our backyard!!

Cindy Lenker said...

Wow, Craig! I saw those Woodpecker's and was excited to learn all the info on them! (great shots, by the way) That same species visited our feeder this Winter, but I have not posted the pic on my blog yet. I believe it's the same species?!!? I'll get it posted and you let me know.

Susan (Between Naps on the Porch) said...

Awesome pics! They know they have it good at your house! :-) I have these guys in my backyard...I always hear them before I even see them!