Monday, April 13, 2009

Brown Alole

For Joan in South Africa. I spent some time in the back yard on Saturday looking for bugs for Joan. I wasn't the only one looking. I didn't catch a single bug worth posting but I did catch a bug catcher! Sorry Joan, I will keep trying to catch a bug for you. :)


The Brown Anole, Anolis sagrei (or Norops sagrei) also called the Bahamian Anole is a lizard native to Cuba and the Bahamas. It has been widely introduced elsewhere, and is now found in Florida and as far north as Southern Georgia, Texas, Taiwan, Hawaii, and other Caribbean islands. Its introduction in the USA has altered the behavior and triggered a negative effect on populations of the native Green Anole, Anolis carolinensis, also called the Carolina Anole. This species is highly invasive. In its introduced range it reaches exceptionally high population densities, is capable of expanding its range at an exponential rate, and both out competes and consumes many species of native lizards.



The Brown Anole (also called Bahamian Anole in many pet stores) is a slender lizard reaching about 18 cm in length. This anole has the ability to change coloration to match its surroundings. They can change pigmentation from brown, light tan, rust, to black. Males and females differ somewhat in coloration: males have a dark stripe down their backs, females a light stripe. The mature males weigh about twice that of females. As in other anoles, the male has a brightly colored throat fan, called a dewlap, which is yellow or reddish-orange. They are territorial and the dewlap is used in territorial displays. Anoles have expanded toe pads that allow them to climb to smooth surfaces.



The brown anole feeds on insects such as crickets, grasshoppers, roaches, spiders, mealworms, and waxworms. It may also eat other lizards, such as the green anole, and lizard eggs. They also eat fruits such as strawberries. They will also usually eat their molted skin.



Unlike the green anole which prefers foliage, the brown anole is found often on the ground. They are athletic creatures that run fast, and jump many times their length. They can also climb straight up almost any surface at blinding speed. The brown anole gets used to humans and can be studied at close range.
Research from Wiki.
Hope you enjoy Joan,
Craig Glenn


11 comments:

The Write Girl said...

What a cool lizard, thanks for sharing Craig.
This weekend my sister and I were watching animal planet. Made me think a bit about your site : )

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

He sure is a good looking fellow as long as I can see him only on the blog.Sorry,I'm not much of a lizard lover.
Blessings,Ruth

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

That is very sweet of you Craig and I do appreciate your effort. :) This Anole makes up for it though as I think they are just the cutest little creatures. The mixture of chameleon eyes and lizard is amazing. We do not have anything like this here. But thinking about it, I would still like a bug or two please. LOL!! I am SUCH a greedy bugger!! LOL!!

Regina Marie said...

The pattern on his back is interesting. My son used to collect them when he was small. We have tons of the green and sometimes tan. I've noticed no cockroaches running around for quite awhile..I'm relieved. I love to photograph these guys- Have a good day-

Bird Girl said...

Oh...he is a cute little guy! I bet it's good to have some of these around to keep those Florida bugs in check! We used to live in Sebring when I was a little girl and the only thing I remember is BUGS and oranges :-) Nice pictures, Craig!

Leedra said...

These are so pretty, I always are on the lookout for them while I am in Fla.

Leedra’s Photos For FunLeedra’s Greeting CardsPhotography By Leedra

dAwN said...

What a cute fellow...long tail..
You really did a nice job capturing him!

Abagale said...

Hi,

We have just added your latest post "7 reasons giraffes would make suitable, indeed excellent, pets" to our Directory of Pets . You can check the inclusion of the post here . We are delighted to invite you to submit all your future posts to the directory and get a huge base of visitors to your website.


Warm Regards

Petgarden.info Team

http://www.petgarden.info

Joseph Alves said...

I live in South Florida and the Brown Anole are a huge problem here. I've had to take action on the ones invading my apartment with a blow gun. I don't like to kill critters for no reason but these things are invasive and destroy all the native ones plus I'm sick of finding them in my shoes!

Anonymous said...

I have had a green anole for a year and a half. Today at work i saved a brown one. Can they be in the same tank? it's too cold here in NJ to let him go.

KaHolly said...

Thanks, Craig!! What a wealth of information, and all I had to do was click one provided link!! This makes it obvious to me that I need to spend some down time perusing your archived posts!! ~karen