Friday, April 10, 2009

Indigo Bunting

According to Wikipedia:

The Indigo Bunting is a small bird, with a length of 11.5–13 cm (4.5-5 in). It displays sexual dimorphism in its coloration; the male is a vibrant blue in the summer and a brown color during the winter months, while the female is brown year-round. The male displays brightly colored plumage during the breeding season to attract a mate. Nest-building and incubation are done solely by the female. The diet of the Indigo Bunting consists primarily of insects during the summer months and seeds during the winter months.

Did you know:
The Indigo Bunting migrates at night, using the stars for guidance. It learns its orientation to the night sky from its experience as a young bird observing the stars.


Experienced adult Indigo Buntings can return to their previous breeding sites when held captive during the winter and released far from their normal wintering area.

The sequences of notes in Indigo Bunting songs are unique to local neighborhoods. Males a few hundred meters apart generally have different songs. Males on neighboring territories often have the same or nearly identical songs.

Indigo and Lazuli buntings defend territories against each other in the western Great Plains where they occur together, share songs, and sometimes interbreed.


Sound

Song a musical series of warbling notes, each phrase given in twos. Call a sharp, thin "spit." Flight call a high buzz.»
Did you know research from the Cornell Lab of Ornithology.

Thanks for stopping by,
Craig Glenn

17 comments:

Maureen McHale said...

Glad you got pictures of one of "my" blue birds...Thought you didn't believe me the other day when I said, I just saw a blue bird fly off that feeder! Sure is pretty, maybe you'll get a pic of the little one this weekend!!

Adrienne in Ohio said...

Craig, I love these images. The only time I ever saw an indigo bunting was also at my bird feeder. He was there and gone so quickly that I didn't have time to photograph him. I'm glad to see a photo of one at your feeder too. Since it never came again, I began to wonder if I'd imagined it. :) Great captures!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Great pictures.THe INdigo is such a vibrant color.
Blessings,Ruth

jalynn01 said...

i just love when these beautiful birds come to my yard...and that is not often. They usually feed on the ground. You are lucky to have them up at the feeders!

Steve B said...

Fund post. I wonder how they figured out that they navigate by stars?

Leedra said...

So lucky to have Indigo Bunting in your yard.

Leedra’s Photos For Fun

Leedra’s Greeting Cards

Photography By Leedra

dAwN said...

Howdee,
Send those buntings here...We are in NC now for a month, camped out in my sisters yard...we are awaiting the annual Indigo buntings..we usually have at least 6 of them.
Cant wait!

Bird Girl said...

Hey Craig - I LOVE this bird!!! You are so lucky to have one at your feeder! Our Indigo's should be back any day - good job!!!

Tina said...

Hi Craig,
Wow!! I've always wanted to see this bird long enough to get a picture or two. Lucky guy to have it coming to your feeder so you can snap some pics!!

Andre said...

What a coincidence! My wife and I just saw an Indigo Bunting today at the Ocmulgee National Monument in Macon, GA. What a beautiful bird! I guess you are lucky to get him at your feeder in your backyard. We haven't been that fortunate with our feeders yet.
The Ocmulgee National Monument is really a big swamp, with historical Indian Mounds, and a birder's paradise.
We got lucky today to also have a good look at a Pileated Woodpecker.
I love your Blog!

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

The "little one"? I hope he gets a pic of it too Maureen!!

This is a fantasic post Craig. Extremely interesting information and pics...now go out there and get a pic like Maureen told you too please. :) I want to see it tomorrow. :)

Lanny said...

That is a stunning bird. Thank you for all the information. My oldest at home daughter and I fantasize about a road trip to see everyone's beautiful birds that we only see in pictures. But your pictures are very nice to look at in the very long mean time!

Tim Rucci said...

Hi Craig,
That is some stunning color in the indigo bunting. I've not seen one in person (only in photos). Sure is nice that they are visiting your feeder. I just stopped by from Jose's blog and thought I'd say hello.

Robin said...

I have pictures from this morning of a couple of Indigo Buntings that came to the feeder on my porch, in Franklin, NC. How can I upload them onto this site? Thanks, Robin

Craig Glenn said...

Hi Robin,

First, thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again.

I think there are public forums that you could post your pics to like Flicker or Picasa.

If you are asking about starting your own blog you can do so at blogger.com.

Thank you again for coming by and posting a comment. If I can help you in anyway please let me know. Any of the bloggers in this community are more than willing to help you get started.

Thanks,

Craig Glenn

Joe said...

I too just saw a beautiful Indigo Bunting outside of Philadelphia, Pa. Ay first glance, he was on the ground under my feeders, I thought it was an Eastern Bluebird. He then flew up to my feeder where he spent about 10 minutes eating seed until my dog got up off her lazy butt and he flew away. My daughter took about a dozen or so photos with her 300 zoom camera. I had to look it up from a curiosity standpoint and realized it was a bunting indeed.
Thanks Joe

Craig Glenn said...

Joe,

Thanks for visiting my blog and I am glad you found the post useful. Congrats on your sighting and I hope your photo's turn out great. This was my first confirmed sighting and I was thrilled!

Craig Glenn