Saturday, April 18, 2009

Joan Bug

Look! It's a Joan bug.... errr I mean a bug for Joan. I have no idea what he is. I did some research but just couldn't quite nail the ID. So if anyone knows, please let me know and I will post some information on the little guy. I love the blue and red body. Enjoy your bug Joan!

UPDATE: Thanks the my very good friend The Muse and her very kind husband, I have an ID!!! Ladies and Gentleman, I give you the Boxelder Nymph.

Did you know:

Boxelder bugs, Boisea trivittatus, are familiar insects to most people. They are generally not noticed during summer, but often can become an issue when they try to move into homes during fall as they search for overwintering sites.



Boxelder bugs are primarily a nuisance because they enter homes and other buildings, often in large numbers. Fortunately, they do not bite people and are essentially harmless to property. When abundant, they can stain walls, curtains, and other surfaces with their excrement. Occasionally some may seek moisture and may be found around houseplants, although they rarely attack them. In the few cases when they do feed, boxelder bugs are very unlikely to injure indoor plants.


Did you know research from University of Minnesota. If you want to know more please pay them a visit.





I would also like to introduce a new Florida nature blogger to all of my friends in blogland. Her name is Carol and she has created the blog "Wildlife Around Us". There are some really nice bird photos there for all to enjoy, so please pay her a visit.



Camera Critters








Thanks for stopping by,

Craig Glenn

22 comments:

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

No idea who this guy is but he sure is colorful.All he needs is a little white to be truely patriotic.
Blessings,Ruth

i beati said...

Lookin for a flag he's something and your header is the bestSandy

Karen said...

Very colourful...

Wonder if it is some type of wasp ?

It looks as though it has bands on its body. You can sort of see them, faintly..

floreta said...

interesting looking bug! don't think i've seen such a red little thing except for a ladybug of course. :)

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

WOW Craig, what a colorful little fellow!! It is either an Assasin Bug or a Stink bug. They are almost the same thing. Thanks for finding it for me. :)

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

On thinking about it, I see that I am wrong, it is a Cottonstainer or firebug. It does not have the flat body of the stinkbugs. :) Thanks Craig!! Much appreciated.

Jose's World said...

I am sure that Joan has a photo of this bug and if not, she probably know the name...at least its South African name.

The header image is that of a female mallard?

dAwN said...

What a great colorful bug...I have no clue what it is.

Dianne said...

what a beauty!!

The Muse said...

My grand daughter said to tell you it is an "oooo" bug !! LOL LOL

troutbirder said...

Thanks for stopping by my little nature blog. I've enjoyed seeing yours especially the red-bellied woodpecker. They are regulars at my feeding year round.

troutbirder said...

Thanks for visiting troutbirder. I've enjoyed taking a look at your bird watching nature blog. A commonality there.

Abe Lincoln said...

Beautiful red bug and thanks for the link.

Steve B said...

Cool, I was thinking stink but. In Colorado, when I lived at 6400 feet, we had ones that were yellow. When I moved down to the plains at 5200 feet, they were red somewhat like this one.

jalynn01 said...

loved that you called it a 'joan bug' kinda like a june bug, but red!! haha

Anonymous said...

husbands says it is a boxelder nymph :)

From The Muse

The Muse said...

husband says it is a boxelder nymph bug... :)

The Write Girl said...

Hey Craig,

I haven't the slightest clue who this little guy might be. It's sort of nice to just view him from your photo. Think I'd freak out if I encountered him (bug crazy)

Take care : )

Bird Girl said...

Well, whatever bug it is...I like the color red and it doesn't look scary! Cool!

Daniel Spurgeon said...

Hi Craig, this is my first visit to your blog. You have a blog after my own heart- insects, birds, other critters- and educational. Thanks for taking the time to share your findings with the rest of the world. :)

Shellmo said...

He is a pretty red bug! Glad he doesn't bite!!

fishing guy said...

Craig: Funny we haven't seen each others blog since we do the same meme. The bug we have here is not as red but definetly the same one.