Thursday, May 28, 2009

Exciting new lifer

I started this post with a request for help to identify a new lifer for me. Special thanks go out to Bird Girl, Hannibal, and Steve B, for their expert identification!

My mother, father and grandma are down from South Georgia visiting us this week. While Maureen and I are at work they sit on the porch and watch to birds and squirrels come to eat in the back yard. I have lost count of how many feeding stations we have now. They noticed a bird they could not identify and from their discription I had no idea what they were talking about. Daddy said it had red on it's tail and a yellow breast with dark gray or black on it's head and wings. When I came home from work yesterday there he was and I grabbed the camera and took these shots.

The Great Crested Flycatcher is lifer number ???! I really do need to count these and make a list. I do know that it is a lifer for me as I count them now. I have chosen to count birds that I have photographed as my lifer list since I have no idea how many and what birds I have seen in my life. So some day soon I will lay them all out and make a Photo Lifer List.

Did you Know:

A treetop hunter of deciduous forests and suburban areas, the Great Crested Flycatcher is easier to hear than to see. The only eastern flycatcher that nests in cavities, it often includes snakeskin in the nest lining.

The Great Crested Flycatcher makes the same "wee-eep" calls on the wintering grounds that it makes in summer.


The Great Crested Flycatcher is a bird of the treetops. It spends very little time on the ground, and does not hop or walk. It prefers to fly from place to place on the ground rather than walk.


Many, but not all, Great Crested Flycatcher nests contain shed snakeskin. Other crinkly materials, such as plastic wrappers, cellophane, and onion skin, may be used.

Breeds in open deciduous woodlands, old orchards, riparian corridors, wooded swamps, parks, cemeteries, and urban areas with large shade trees.
Food includes: Insects, other invertebrates, some small fruits.

Nest Description:
Nests in cavities, typically filled with trash and nest placed on top. Nest made of leaves, hair, feathers, rootlets, string, trash, small twigs, bark, paper, and shed snakeskin. Will use nestbox.




Did you know research from All About Birds.

Thanks for your help,


Craig Glenn






Camera Critters

15 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Hope this helps Craig: Its a bird with a yellow belly. There, now you know. :)

The Write Girl said...

I'm terrible at animal naming...sorry Craig. Wish I was a nature watcher like you. I enjoyed the photos of this little guy though.

Shellmo said...

My gosh he's a cute one! I don't recognize this bird - hope someone identifies him STAT!

Bird Girl said...

Looks like a Great Crested Flycatcher, Craig!
Congrats on your 'lifer'! Nothing more exciting!
And you got some neat pictures, too!

HANNIBAL said...

That is a Great-crested Flycatcher Craig! Nice work, the different angles gave it away!

Steve B said...

Looks like a Great-crested Flycatcher. I've got one posted at this link.

Kelly has one posted also.

Craig Glenn said...

Thanks everyone and thanks to Barb/BirdGirl, Hannibal, and Steve for the great ID!

I will be back this afternoon an update the post with the ID and proper credits.

Craig Glenn

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

You have some good photos of the Flycatcher.I have a special feeling for these birds as they bring back memories of our first home in the country.Thanks for sharing.
Blessings,Ruth

dAwN said...

Congrats on your lifer Craig! thats an awesome bird! You should build a nest box for them..maybe they will use it in the future.

Marie Reed said...

I can almost hear it's sweet little we-eeep!

Snap said...

How exciting for you and us -- to be part of your 'lifer'!

Mara said...

Even with my new glasses I had trouble finding the little bird at first!
I love your header photo by the way, absolutely beautiful

Joy said...

That was such an interesting post about a precious, beautiful bird!

Karen said...

Very cool looking bird. It certainly looks curious about you, in those last four photos..

Great post with some interesting information !!

Abe Lincoln said...

These are amazing birds, and I can hear them along the creek but so far have never got one in focus.