Monday, May 18, 2009

Spicebush Swallowtail

I took these photos on my lunch walk at work. There is a nice patch of Lantana between two buildings in a path through the hedge row. I stop here often to see what I can see.

Did you know:

The Spicebush Swallowtail (Papilio troilus) is a fairly black swallowtail found in North America. It is the state butterfly of Mississippi.




This primarily black swallowtail is normally found in deciduous woods or woody swamps, where they can be found flying low and fast through shaded areas.

The Spicebush Swallowtail is found only in the Eastern US and extreme southern Ontario, with occasional strays in the American Midwest and even Cuba.

Adults can be identified by their spoon-shaped tails and by their bright green (male) or iridescent blue (female) hind-wings. Ivory spots may be visible on the forewings, and orange spots may appear on the hindwings. Wingspan may be 3 to 4 inches.


Research from Wikipedia.

Thanks for stopping by,

Craig Glenn



6 comments:

forestal said...

Craig, nice pics and information. Thanks

The Write Girl said...

This butterfly is beautiful...thanks for sharing : )

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Great photos of the butterflies, Craig... I hate to admit this, but I don't know one butterfly from another. Guess I need to 'get with the program' and learn about them... I do know that they are gorgeous.

Betsy

Steve B said...

Wow, real oooooo-aaaaah shots!

fishing guy said...

Craig: What a beauty, I saw a couple of black butterflies last year but they didn't stay to be photographed.
I left you a note at Joan's site.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

These are fantastic pictures and information Craig. I am so glad it is summer and you are showing me all these beauties. Thanks.