Sunday, January 10, 2010

Unknown Goose

The Greylag Goose

Photographed at Lake Eola in downtown Orlando Florida.




I have no idea what kind of goose this is. Do you?

UPDATE: My friend Tom (the Fishing Guy) from This is my blog identified my goose as a Greylad Goose.  Thanks Tom!

This species is found throughout the Old World, apparently breeding where suitable localities are to be found in many European countries, although it no longer breeds in southwestern Europe. Eastwards it extends across Asia to China. In North America there are both feral domestic geese, which are similar to greylags, and occasional vagrants.

The Greylag is a large goose, 74–84 cm (29–33 in) long with a 149–168 cm (59–66 in) wingspan and a body weight of 2.3–5.5 kg (5–12 lbs). It has a large head and almost triangular bill. The legs are pink, and the bird is easily identified in flight by the pale leading edge to the wing. It has a loud cackling call, kiYAAA-ga-ga, like the domestic goose.

The western European nominate subspecies, A. a. anser, has an orange-pink bill and is slightly smaller and darker than the pink-billed Asian race, A. a. rubrirostris. Eastern European birds are often intermediate in appearance.


Thanks for stopping by,

Craig Glenn

13 comments:

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Craig: I saw one of these with the Canada goose this year. It is called a Grey Lag Goose my friend.

Craig Glenn said...

Thanks Tom! I will add that to my list!

Craig

The Muse said...

Too late to answer :(

Which is ok, cause i did not know...LOL

Now, if it were a chicken! :)

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Clever Tom!! Lovely pic Craig. Now I want to see a shot of one flying please as you have got so good with this new camera you need more of a challenge. :)

KaHolly said...

Welcome to the Mystery Goose Blogs!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

That's a beautiful picture of the bird.
Blessings,Ruth

Gaelyn said...

Looks like it's got an attitude. Nice shot Craig and thanks Tom for the ID. I'm with Joan and more challenge with the new camera. ;-)

forestal said...

great shot of an interesting bird, love the beak

dan

The Write Girl said...

He is such a stoic and reflective little guy. So very cute. Thanks for sharing. Love the photos.

Coy said...

Craig,
You are getting some really nice shots of water birds. Florida in winter is a birders paradise! Hopefully I'll make it down for a few days before the winter is past.

dAwN said...

Howdee!
Wow..first of all I love your header..that bird looks serious!

and the photos I am seeing are awesome..
Its so nice to catch up with my blog reading..seems like forever..
it is a rainy day here in AZ..so good excuse to read blogs..
I have only a thousand more too go!

akeorlando said...

Whenever I'm at Lake Eola I'm always afraid one of these little guys is going to come chasing after me! I have no idea why - they don't seem at all threatening.

Anonymous said...

The bird in question is not a Graylag Goose. There is a distinct feature at the root of its nose which Graylags dont have. I suspect this is a cross-breed of some sort.

H. Konradsson