Saturday, July 17, 2010

Fiery Skipper

Fiery Skipper

Hylephila phyleus (Drury, 1773)



(click image to enlarge)


I learned something new today! This is a Skipper. I never heard of such a thing. Well I must admit the first thing I thought of was "The Skipper and Mary Ann", ya know, Gilligan's Island??? Anyway, I took this photo of a Skipper on the Lantana in M and I's front yard but had no idea what it was. So I email the photo to the world renowned "Bug Lady" who told me straight away it was a Skipper! She made me look it up though and I think I have identified it correctly as a Fiery Skipper. You can learn more about the Fiery Skipper here.

Thanks for stopping by,

Craig Glenn

5 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Hey, this "Bug Lady" seems to be useful to have around. LOL!!

This is a great shot Craig and I am pleased you found it. The way to tell them is the combination of the thick body (moths) and clubbed antennae (butterflies).

Your macro work is at a stage where I see I have some fierce competition!! :)

Gaelyn said...

Thank goodness for the Bug Lady. Your macro is superb and the Skipper a beauty.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Excellent shot.These guys are not very big so pose a challenge to photograph.
Blessings,Ruth

KaHolly said...

Great shot! Check out that eye! Wow! `Karen

Coy said...

I love the tiny skippers, they looks so cute with such huge eyes.

Nice catch Craig!