Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Female Downny Woodpecker

Downy Woodpecker


(click to enlarge)

Did you know:

Downy Woodpeckers hitch around tree limbs and trunks or drop into tall weeds to feed on galls, moving more acrobatically than larger woodpeckers. Their rising-and-falling flight style is distinctive of many woodpeckers. In spring and summer, Downy Woodpeckers make lots of noise, both with their shrill whinnying call and by drumming on trees.

Did you know source.


Thanks for stopping by,

Craig Glenn

3 comments:

dAwN said...

Howdee Craig,
I have been visiting your blog via the auto tweets i have set up for it on Twitter..I may not always comment but I enjoy all your birds and critters that you photograph.
Also the information you add.
Happy Birding!

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

All I ever hear of them is the tapping on bark. I wonder why our are so different to yours? Must be because they do not come into town areas are as such are much wilder.

troutbirder said...

Sweet little woodpeckers. I like maybe because they are the most reliable at the suet feeder. :)