Monday, January 10, 2011

Brown Pelican Take Off

Brown Pelican



(Click to enlarge)

The Brown Pelican (Pelecanus occidentalis) is the smallest of the eight species of pelican, although it is a large bird in nearly every other regard.

The Brown Pelican occurs on coasts in the Americas from Washington and Virginia south to northern Peru and the mouth of the Amazon River, as well as the island of Saut d'Eau in Trinidad and Tobago. Some immature birds may stray to inland freshwater lakes. After nesting, North American birds move in flocks further north along the coasts, returning to warmer waters for winter. Their young are hatched in broods of about 3, and eat around 150 lbs. of fish in the 8-10 month period they are cared for.

This bird is distinguished from the American White Pelican by its brown body and its habit of diving for fish from the air, as opposed to co-operative fishing from the surface. It eats mainly fish and amphibians as well as crustaceans. Groups of Brown Pelicans often travel in single file, flying low over the water's surface.

The nest location varies from a simple scrape on the ground on an island to a bulky stick nest in a low tree. These birds nest in colonies, usually on islands.

Photographed by Craig Glenn on Sanibel Island.


RESEARCH


Thanks for stopping by,

13 comments:

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

The pictures are fantastic.Where I live,we only see the White Pelican,but I love to photograph them.
Blessings,Ruth

Gary said...

Haven't seen you for a while, but you haven't lost your talent. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River.

Sandi McBride said...

I love the brown pelican for it's comic value if not its beauty. Thanks for sharing all the great info and the photos!
Sandi

The Write Girl said...

I love the photos of the brown pelican. Nice shots Craig.

Jen said...

Nice, I love that first photo!

cindyzlogic said...

Nice shots, Craig! and wonderful research and write-up!

Susan (Between Naps on the Porch) said...

Hi Craig,
I love Sanibel Island...awesome shelling territory. And what a great phot you've captured! Always a treat to visit and see your beautiful photography!

If it isn't too much trouble, would you mind taking a look at the visitor I had to my back yard today. I'm not sure what kind of bird (raptor) he is. At first, my readers thought he might be an immature Red-tailed hawk...but another reader found images online that suggests he could be an immature Bald Eagle. I am guessing if anyone knows, it would be you. :)
Here's a link to the post...appreciate your input:
http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/2011/01/what-kind-of-hawk-is-this.html
Thanks!
Susan

Maureen McHale said...

Funny...we call them penguins in this part of the world...

Gotcha Craig-er!
Love, M

Michele Wassell said...

Great photos!! Love the poses...

Carol said...

I like the Brown Pellicans..they always take great interest when we are boating..must think we are a fishing boat. Had on fly right in front of the window and look in at me. Where is the camera when you need it?!!

The Bird Watcher said...

The brown pelican is one of my favorite birds. I have a house in Port Aransas, Texas a small town on the gulf of Mexico near Corpus Christi,TX. When I am out in my
boat fishing and birding many times I have watched in amazement when they dive for fish near the surface of the water. They go like a spear into the water to capture their food at a high rate of speed. They also sit on the posts of the ferry that takes you to the island where Port A. is from the mainland. Great picture you have. J.C.Kidd
http://whooping-cranes-returning-to-texas.blogspot.com/

KaHolly said...

A real beauty. I'll never forget the first time I ever saw pelicans while camping for the first time in the Keys in 1982. I was up at the crack of dawn every morning having my morning coffee, just the pelicans and me.

Michele Wassell said...

Great photos! Love the Pelican pics.. Aren't they fun to watch? Seems we have a lot more this year than typical, which is good, so I have seen some types of their behavior/activity for the first time... Have fun!