Thursday, November 20, 2008

Cormorants, what do you think?

"There is nothing in which the birds differ more from man than the way in which they can build and yet leave a landscape as it was before." ~ Robert Lynd

“Altering nature in order to not offend our delicate sensibilities is humane, if by humane you mean what is best for the human.” ~Craig Glenn

"They're getting the message," he said. "It is humane. We're not hurting them, we're just modifying their behavior." ~Leo Falcon, Park Manager Lake Eola Park (Orlando Sentinel)

Please see the story in the Orlando Sentinel at www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/orange/orl-birds2008nov20,0,5768480.story.

I am not a big tree hugger or PETA extremist, as evidenced by the nice chicken soup I just had, and not offended if you are. I love nature, however, I am also sure I have displaced my fair share of critters with my own “geo footprint” or whatever they are calling it these days. I am certainly not trying to start a war or take any kind of moral high ground stand.

But come on, they were here first and by the city's own admission they are just moving the problem from one location to another. All while saving a mere, well nothing if you ask me. The city was spending $14K to clean up behind the birds. Now they are spending $10K to drive them away as best as they can. Are you telling me they wont spend the other $4K cleaning up anyway?

LOL, I don’t know. What are your thoughts? I say, leave the poor things alone. Deal with the mess. Poor cormorants.

Craig Glenn

2 comments:

Tina said...

Craig,
The essence of your linked-article sounds familiar...we have the same problem, here, but it is with the Canadian Geese. We will forever continue to build, build, and build, easing nature from its land and water ways...progress they call it,and in the end its always the little guys that pay! $$$ talks, and the creatures suffer.
Do you ever travel to Sanibel Island? We have been visiting Sanibel for many yrs. Mostly in Jan or Feb or a few weeks. Their bird refuge (J.N. Ding Darling) is amazing. :)

david mcmahon said...

London (not my home city) has a unique take on the pigeon problem!