Monday, November 17, 2008

Special Treat on my walk today...

I am fairly certain of my identification of today’s special encounter. Since I don’t have a picture, lets just say I am dead on! Who’s going to know, right?

After my lunch I headed out for a nice walk with high hopes and anticipation. What will I see today? I have several trails and paths that I have developed over the last year for walking based on my mood or amount of time I have. Today I chose to start out on a bike path seldom used by bickers, only the occasional walker. A blue jay caught my attention causing me to stop and for a few minutes. He was quite large and troubled, it seemed. Something was bothering him, I just didn’t know what.

Just then I heard a crash in the bushes just to my left! There, not 10 feet away from me, in the viney overgrowth was a broad-winged hawk, making a kill. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broad-winged_Hawk.


***(Picture from wikipedia.)***

I froze trying not to disturb him. He was well aware of my presence, but not about to give up his lunch. There we were, watching me watching him, constantly adjusting his grip on what I learned after he flew away was a small mouse. He flew up into a nearby oak tree and began his lunch, peeking at me over his shoulder, as if I may want his little mouse.

Craig Glenn

12 comments:

Tina said...

Wow! I know how you feel. This past summer I was perched near the hummer feeder waiting, (I won't say patiently as I don't think I will get the patience thing down)for some hummers to flit by and swoosh right in front of me swooped a coopers hawk. He had snatched a small bunny who had been nibbling his lunch near me... Scared the heck out of me. I quickly followed him to the neighbors yard and took a ton of pics. At the time, I had not started my blog so I sent several photos to Dave at Dave's bird blog and he posted them. We didn't know what kind of a hawk it was at first...all I knew was it was big! Needless to say I definitely react differently now to big flapping sounds when I'm out and about! Too bad you didn't have a camera with you, sounds like you have some good encounters...hope you get that fixed camera back soon.

Craig Glenn said...

I would love to to read that story and see the pictures.... I will see if I can find it on Dave's site. If not I may hit you up for the link if you have it....
Craig

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

What a great experience to watch that capture.I'm sure you have those images burned in your mind.Wow!

Abraham Lincoln said...

I have seen a lot of hawks make kills not very far from me and on most birds there is an explosion of feathers as the hawk hits so hard it knocks the birds right out of the feathers or most of them. I might have some pictures of that on my birds blog.

Thanks for coming by and having a look. I appreciate it.

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Wow Craig---how exciting!!! As much as I don't ever want to see any of these precious little birds get hurt, I must admit that it's part of life for them--and for Mr. Hawk. I know you were terribly excited to get to see this.

Craig Glenn said...

Thanks everyone for you comments. It is so cool to finially get to share these things with people that enjoy the same things. I can't tell you how many times I have shared with others who just don't get how exciting it is. Thanks again for stoping by.

Craig Glenn

Shellmo said...

Those hawks are exciting to watch! Congrats!

Dave's Bird Watching Blog said...

Wow! So close to a hawk...what a great experience!

Bird Girl said...

What a happening! Those hawks are sneaky little buggers - you are lucky to see a broadwinged - I don't think I've even seen one except flying high above on the migration route!

Craig Glenn said...

Bird Girl,
Well as I said, I was pretty close and then I studied many online pics before making the call, but I have been wrong before. I should probably stop posting until I get a camera... lol, but I enjoy it so much. Thanks for stopping by everyone!
Craig

jalynn01 said...

Thank you Craig for stopping by and visiting with me and my red bellied woodpecker post. I sure hope you get your camera fixed asap as I would love to see that stork and other birds you describe. Love the red shouldered hawk that picked up a frog from the pool. I'm in the Northeast so snow will soon be common on my posts, unlike your sunny Fl. haha

Leedra said...

I think I have a photograph of a Broad Winged Hawk. That is what my husband and I have id'd it as anyway. I have not posted it yet, but hope to soon. I saw this photo and started scanning to see what you said this was because I was thinking "this is what I photographed". Keep an eye out, hopefully I will post soon.