Friday, December 5, 2008

As promised, back to the Wood Stork...

After nearly getting voted off the bird watching circuit for birding without a camera, I think I was saved just in the nick of time. Yes, I really do see the critters I have been blogging about!!! Now if I can just become half the photographer you guys are, this will be a lot of fun.

This has to be somewhere around my 10th sighting of the Wood Stork in the last couple of months. Maureen and I see them on the way to work in a drainage ditch. Yesterday, camera in lap, she whipped of to the side of the road for me when we spotted him. Of course, at this point I couldn’t get my glasses on, couldn’t get the lens cap off, couldn’t get my window rolled down, he starts walking away…….. yea, I was nervous.

Here he is, with his scaly bald head, snow white feathers, and black racing stripes.




I love how they use there large beak to shovel around in the water to find food by touch. They are not site hunters. I bet they eat some discusting stuff every now and then using this method.


You can tell he was a little intemidated by the big truck chasing him along. He keep trying to walk away from me.





What a treat to capture this endangered bird. The Wood Stork is the only breading stork in the US. I was telling Maureen how funny it was that 99.9% of the people driving by probably don't know what he is. They just buzz by on their way to their busy lives and busy jobs. Certainly now being bothered to look into the dranage ditch! LOL Yay Wood Stork!
Craig

12 comments:

Shellmo said...

Nice photos of the Wood Stork! My 1st time seeing one. Glad you included info about them as well.
P.S. Have you checked out www.ebird.org ? You can record your bird sightings there for free and compare what everyone else is seeing nearby to you as well as other states. This info is used by Cornell and the Audubon. The reason I mentioned this is it would be interesting to record this sighting of your endangered Wood Stork.

Sara G said...

WOW, very cool photo's!!
I have really enjoyed looking around your blog!
Take care and have a great weekend!

Craig Glenn said...

Thank you Shelly, and Yes I did sign up on ebird, just keep forgetting to go and post my sightings....
Thanks for visiting Sara, please come back. I promise to visit your blogs soon....

Thanks,
Craig

Leedra said...

I just read Shelley's comment, I guess I should post my sightings there at Lake Seminole Park. I do have a previous post (use my left sidebar and find woodstork) taken at Lake Seminole Park. It was taken June 2008, but there were several there Feb 2008. I was not blogging then, so those have not been posted. In Feb there were several with several Spoonbills. I had never seen either one of them before, so that was a learning experience too.

Have you been to Lake Seminole Park?

Bird Girl said...

Great job, Craig! I, of course, have never seem a wood stork and you are extremely lucky to have this guy in a local drainage ditch -haha! I don't think I'd EVER make to work if I saw one of these guys on the way! (Don't worry - with more practice you'll have the window down before you get there just in case - the camera lens off and these birds won't have a chance ;-)

Craig Glenn said...

Hannibal has been kind enough to comment to my post through email since she is having trouble posting on my page.... anyone else having these problems? If so Please email me.

Thanks again Hannibal...

Hi Craig,

Still can't comment but had to say how thrilled I am for you to capture the stork on film. I've never seen one, but am planning a visit to fla. soon...

I bet you have lots of ideas for santa, now that you have the birdfever and blogfever, both of which is highly contagious!

Hannibal

Leedra said...

I saw Shelley's comment about ebird and registered. I also posted the Red Shouldered Hawk, Wood Stork and Spoonbills. In doing this I think I have figured out Seminole Co and Seminole are not really close to each other, which would mean you aren't close to Lake Seminole Park. Sorry for the confusion.

david mcmahon said...

G'day from Australia. I particularly liked the reference to the beak. When I was very young, my mother taught me why birds have different beaks for different purposes.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Woe!An awesome bird.I have never seen one and unless we travel south probably will have to settle for pictures like yours.Once the camera bug bites there is no turning back.Good luck and have fun.
Blessings,Ruth

Tina said...

Craig,
Very interesting post! How awesome to have a wood stork right near you....and I had to laugh at your display of nerves prior to taking your photo...you are not alone! My second time out with my new camera I lost my footing and stumbled right down a sm hill into the edge of the lake all the time trying to keep my new camera from going in the water.. as my peanut/butter sand (which I had been eating and stuffed in my shirt pocket) went flying past my head into the water...and this was in front of a bunch of people who were "also" trying to get a shot of that green heron....which btw shreeked and quickly left...as the canadian geese ate my sandwich. Anyhow, great post! :)

Craig Glenn said...

Thanks everyone for the comments!

Tina,

What a funny story! I hope you posted that in your blog. I laughed out loud.

Craig

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Craig, I've never seen a wood stork before. GREAT pictures!!!! Thanks for sharing.