Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Crane's Roost and the Little Blue Heron...

More from Uptown Altamonte and Crane’s Roost. Today’s feature bird is the Little Blue Heron. I just love these little guys and have taken a couple dozen photos over the last two months. These however, are the only ones worth publishing. As you can tell, I took full advantage of the fact that Maureen and Sara were feeding the birds bread and drawing them in close for me.

Did you know:
Here is an interesting fact that I did not know. Did you?

A smallish heron of the southeastern United States, the Little Blue Heron breeds in various freshwater and estuarine habitats. It is the only heron species in which first-year birds and adults show dramatically different coloration: first-year birds are pure white, while adults are blue.

Conservation Status:
Declining in much of its range in the United States. Because it does not bear long showy plumes in breeding adult plumage, the Little Blue Heron largely escaped serious population declines from feather hunting for the millinery trade. Habitat loss and human-caused changes in local water dynamics are the most serious threats.

The Snowy Egret tolerates the close proximity of white Little Blue Herons more than that of dark Little Blue Herons. A white Little Blue Heron catches more fish in the company of Snowy Egrets than when alone. This relationship may be one reason why young Little Blue Herons stay white for a year.

Another advantage of white plumage is that young Little Blue Herons are more readily able to integrate into mixed-species flocks of white herons, thus gaining a measure of protection against predators.
Did you know brought to you by the Cornell Lab of Ornithology!

Believe it or not, I still have more to come from this little two hour trip. Thanks for stopping by and for everyone's kind and gracious comments!
Craig


5 comments:

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Fascinating photos.I had to enlarge the first two in order to see the birds.The shadows and light were very good camoflage.
Blessings,Ruth

Leedra said...

I agree the lighting served as a screen for the Heron. Great information.

Shellmo said...

I love the shots of your "fisherman"!

Salty said...

Craig,
Thanks for linking to Country Captures, I appreciate it. After posting my Camera Critter for today I stopped over only to see that we had both posted the Little Blue Heron.

I enjoyed my trip to your state very much. It is always a pleasure to visit in the winter, a respite from our cold weather and a bountiful supply of wildlife to fill the cards.

Great post you have here, I had no idea that LBH’s begin life white.

Bird Girl said...

Craig - I have been wanting to get a shot of a Little Blue Heron for a very long time! I've only seen them in passing - and even then I'm not positive with the ID. The light really worked for you and the eyes are so nice in your pictures! Great! By the way - what is that bird in the bottom right hand corner of the first picture? With the beautiful black and white feathers? I can almost make out a face??? But not sure...