Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Hairy woodpecker and the berry tree…

I have no idea what kind of tree this was but the birds were enjoying the berries today. One I could not identify, and I am not sure I got a good enough picture for identification but I will put him at the end and see what the pro’s think.







Based on the red patch on the back of his head, it is my understanding that this is a male. Females have a black patch.



Did you know:

The Hairy Woodpecker is attracted to the heavy blows a Pileated Woodpecker makes when it is excavating a tree. The hairy forages in close association with the larger woodpecker, pecking in the deep excavations and taking insects that the pileated missed.
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Hairy_Woodpecker.html



Let's play, can you identify this bird...



I know this may be a tough one. He was way up in the berry tree. I was facinated watching them. They would take off straight up in the air for about 30 feet, then stop dead in the air and turn back down and dive back into the tree. My daddy used to tell me about china berry trees getting birds drunk, but I have no idea what a china berry tree is. Off to do some research I guess.
I look forward to your comments and insights,
Craig

8 comments:

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Sorry can't help with identifying the bird.I do like the pictures of the Hairy Woodpecker.
Blessings,Ruth

Tina said...

Craig,
There sure are a lot of berries left on that tree a sure sign you will see more birds eating a feast here... I am not a bird expert, by any means, but I think your mystery bird is a mocking bird. I have seen them fly straight up and settle quickly back to the same area!! Quite a display of tricky flying!! :)

Craig Glenn said...

Hi Tina,

Actually this guy had quite the yellow belley. Pretty sure it's not a Mockingbird. Sorry for the poor photo. Maybe I will catch him again someday....

Thanks for stopping by,
Craig

david mcmahon said...

Thanks, Craig, for the visit and the very kind remark. These are very interesting shots because of the lattice-lilke effect of the branches.

That's the best way to experiment with your camera. Use it to shoot random objects and scenes in different light conditions.

Anonymous said...

Hi Craig, that last bird is a tough one.
Being from MN I'm not real familiar with
flycatchers in the winter, but that's kind
of what it looks like to me. The posture and
possible flying out to catch an insect are what make me think this. Hard to tell the size,
but if it is small enough to be an empidonax
it could be a Least Flycatcher; or it could
even be the Hammond's from out west that
occassionally winter in FL. I think one has
been reported there already this year. At any
rate, I hope you can relocate this bird and get
some more photos. Nice job, you are getting
better every day. I enjoy reading all your
adventures. Thanks.
Hap in New Hope

Anonymous said...

Hi Craig, another thought I had is that
this could possibly be an E. Phoebe.
Again, size could be a determining factor.
Just a thought, hope you can refind the
little rascal.
Hap in New Hope

Dave's Bird Watching Blog said...

Craig, I saw your comment on my blog about the downy vs hairy woodpecker. They're very similar, but hairys are slightly larger (blue-jay size), while downys are smaller (cardinal size). Hairys have beaks that are almost as long as their head width. Downy wps have shorter beaks. Hard to tell which you have here, but either are fun!

Richard said...

Dave,

Thanks for visiting my blog.

I was going to suggest a Flycatcher on the mystery bird also but I see my mentor (Hap) beat me to it.

Great pictures.