Sunday, December 14, 2008

Ixora and the Black Vulture...

Maureen is the green thumb in this house. I mostly just hit mine with a hammer, see remodeling post. These beauties are Ixora, or so she tells me. She could have called them December Magic Tea flowers and I wouldn't have know the difference.

Anywho, I put these up for all of my flower friends. Truth is, I was just practicing with the camera. I included this attempt at a flight photo of the American Black Vulture. Enjoy.





Did you know:
One-on-one, a Black Vulture can be dominated by the slightly larger Turkey Vulture. But, Black Vultures rarely travel alone. Flocks of Black Vultures can quickly take over a carcass and drive the more solitary Turkey Vultures away.


So, this was my latest attempt at a flight photo. Seems to have a better focus than the last but just a bit far away. Click to enlarge for a better view.
Craig


9 comments:

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Beautiful flowers.You just had to post those on a bitterly cold day over here.Thanks any way i enjoyed them.
Blessings,Ruth

dAwN said...

Those are beautiful flowers...I guess being in florida you probably have things flowering all winter...My husband and I will be in florida for jan thru march...different areas...
Cant wait...its cold here in NC lately...
By the way hope your cholesterol goes down..

scot said...

So I was driving with your two nephews the other day and came across a hugh vulture having dinner at his favorite road side cafe. They felt the me let up on the gas and the fear of their dad stopping traffic to get a shot was too much.

Sorry I missed the shot, it would have been close, but I had to protect the reputations of two teenagers.. Next time bro....

Anonymous said...

Hi Craig, just like to let you know you
have a nice vulture flight shot there!
Also, it looks more like a Turkey Vulture
to me because it has the two-toned wing
(the trailing half is lighter than the
front half); and TV's have a long tail
where the BV tail is so short, the toes
often stick out beyond the tail. If you
have the new Peterson Guide to Birds of
North America you can see what I am
referring to. Keep up the good work!
Hap in New Hope

cityding said...

I like your bird-watching blog. The pictures are simply beautiful...

Shellmo said...

Nice to see flowers as I'm shivering here in Michigan! And great sky shot of the vulture flying!

Leedra said...

I agree with Hap, looks like it has more white, which makes it a Turkey Vulture. Great shot!

Tina said...

Craig,
I have seen these flowers at the condo we rent in Sanibel, but I never knew their name! Thanks for the great pics and the lesson on Ixora! Like you vulture shot..they are beautiful to watch soar!

Kate Coveny Hood said...

I like the effect of the stark black form against the bright blue sky and white whispy clouds. The enlarged version is pretty spectacular.