Monday, December 22, 2008

Justin: Nature Stalker and future Nature Blogger...


I would like to welcome Justin back to the blog this week. Justin is my 13 year old nephew and contributing photographer to my blog. According to Scot, his daddy, Justin is a member of the FBA (Future Bloggers of America) and has already put in his request for a camera of his own for Christmas. I think all of my readers would agree that it would be quite the shame if he doesn’t get one! (Sorry Scooter)

Personally, even though I love my little Justin, I think he is just showing off! I am sure you will all agree after my next series of post featuring him and his little outing to a park in Brevard Co Florida known as Chain of Lakes. Just kidding little man, and don’t you worry. I will be the first in line to be your number one follower when you start your own blog! Now let’s get on with the show.

The Anhinga:
Did you Know:
The Anhinga is frequently seen soaring high in the sky overhead. It is a graceful flier and can travel long distances without flapping its wings, much in the manner of a Turkey Vulture.

The Anhinga is often referred to as the snake bird. When they come back up from a dive for fish their long neck looks like a snake coming up out of the water.



The Female Anhinga in Flight: (OK, now you are showing off!)
I think this is a Mallard Female but not sure. Another nice in flight photo. Beginners luck I say!
The Great Blue Heron:

Did you Know:
The white form of the Great Blue Heron, known as the "great white heron," is found nearly exclusively in shallow marine waters along the coast of very southern Florida, the Yucatan Peninsula, and in the Caribbean. Where the dark and white forms overlap in Florida, intermediate birds known as "Wurdemann's herons" can be found. They have the bodies of a Great Blue Heron, but the white head and neck of the great white heron.


Although the Great Blue Heron eats primarily fish, it is adaptable and willing to eat other animals as well. Several studies have found that voles (mice) were a very important part of the diet, making up nearly half of what was fed to nestlings in Idaho. Occasionally a heron will choke to death trying to eat a fish that is too large to swallow.

Great Blue Herons congregate at fish hatcheries, creating potential problems for the fish farmers. A study found that herons ate mostly diseased fish that would have died shortly anyway. Sick fish spent more time near the surface of the water where they were more vulnerable to the herons.

Grand Finale:
He deftly throws the camera in the air with the timer set and takes his own picture. Show off. Love you J man, keep up the good work and thanks for your contributions.


Uncle Craig

11 comments:

Richard said...

Looks like Justin has a great future in birding. I see a book in the making.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Justin is going to give the rest of us a run for our money,if he keeps up his way.Great pictures,Justin and keep it up.
Blessings,Ruth

dAwN said...

Great job Justin...let us know when your blog is up and running...I would love to be one of your followers...I love the last shot and I will try and do that myself...Is there any special way to do that shot? and how many times did you try to do that before it took such a cool picture?
and Craig...you nephew is lucky to have an uncle that encourages him like you do...
Happy Holidays to you both.

scot said...

Please, nobody try this at home. Justin is a trained professional and has spent many hours working on this stunt. His first few tries resulted in 72 stitches in the top of his head. Had a great shot of that one too...

Just kidding. Justin appreciates the comments and encouragement. Please send donations for his camera. ;)

Leedra said...

One thing is for sure. You don't want to let him get your camera in his hands.

Leedra said...

I see you are getting deeper into the birding. Great info!

Shellmo said...

I think Justin is headed towards being an employee of national geographic!!

Abraham Lincoln said...

I enjoyed your post and the photos of the birds. I also posted the Great Blue Heron.

Bird Girl said...

Fantastic, Justin!!! Yes, Craig...I can see why you are a little bit jealous - haha! He is off to a magnificent start - geesh 13! I love all the bird pictures but I have to say - the grand finale is my favorite and the reason I just love little boys! (I have 4 grandsons) Only a boy would throw his camera into the sky and set the timer on auto - gotta LOVE it!!! Kudos, Justin!

HANNIBAL said...

Craig: You've got some nephew! Glad you turned him on to your hobby!

Justin: Brilliant idea with the toss up camera, although I recommend disposables only! Seriously, perfect capture, and loved your arms open wide! You've got quite the imagination my friend! Keep it up!

GreenJeans said...

Wow, great shots Justin! Keep up the good work! My 6 yr old has also become a shutterbug and she's showing lots of promise too. But if I saw her throwing my camera in the air, it would all be over...
LOVE that last shot!!