Thursday, December 11, 2008

Return of the Wood Stork...

Imagine my surprise and excitement when I turned the corner on my walk yesterday and found the Wood Stork taking a break by the bench overlooking the fountain. I just missed a double shot as well. There was a nice Red-Shouldered Hawk sitting in the cypress tree right next to the Wood Stork. He flew away before I noticed him and could get a shot.


I had to make a nice slow approach. He was quite leery of my presence. Turning his bald head this way and that, he sized me up. There was no way for him to know that I couldn’t catch him if I wanted to.


This one was very generous, letting me get some shots of his black trim and orange feet. At this point I am plotting a flight picture when he makes his get away.


He was kind enough to leave me this souvenir. I have it proudly displayed at my desk. He left some other stuff to. I didn’t pick it up!


Well I tried. He took off. I had the shutter speed set to 500....
Tried to get him in the little box...
CLICK!!! Quick, before he went behind the cypress tree...
OUT OF FOCUS!!! Sorry for the bad photo, but I wanted to show the whole journey, flat tires and all...


Did you Know:
What they sound like?
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Wood_Stork.html#sound

Both sexes look alike.

Thanks for the visit, Mr Wood Stork!
Craig


7 comments:

mirage2g said...

It does look big...good job stalking!

scot said...

Great shots.. But you need to stay away from those storks before he leaves you more than a feather and some fertilizer...

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Those are fantastic shots.Too bad the in flight one didn't turn out.Perhaps next time.
Blessings,Ruth

Shellmo said...

It's a beautiful bird! isn't it fun being a bird stalker?!

Leedra said...

This is great for the first flight photo, at least he is in the frame. I have had many that the bird was totally gone when I loaded the photo on the computer. Practice makes perfect! We all are stalkers at times.

Tina said...

Craig,
Those are great shots. Having never seen a wood stork before I think you are the brave one for stalking such a big bird!! My luck he would advance toward me..lol. Your last shot is fine, at least you got him in the frame..can't tell you how many times I think I got a shot and when I look at my pics..I got everything but the bird!!

Bird Girl said...

What a wonderful surprise, Craig! And can you imagine getting both the wood stork AND the red shoulder in the same shot - that would be heaven ;-)
You did a marvelous job - great shots! And doesn't it kill you how a bird of that size puts his feet together so gracefully in flight? Very cool!