Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Scooter reveals his Hawk secrets...

Well at first I was thinking that this was some kind of sparrow, but I can't find him. Scot and I would appreciate help his identity. At least we know know why they're are so many hawks in his yard.

Update: Thanks to my kind blogger friends, we have an identity! See below...






I think we have a winner. We are going to call this a Palm Warbler. Great capture Scot!


Did you know:

The Palm Warbler is found in two different forms. Birds that breed in the western part of the range are duller, and have whitish bellies. Those breeding in the eastern part of the range are entirely yellow underneath.

Despite its tropical sounding name, the Palm Warbler lives farther north than most other warblers. It breeds far to the north in Canada, and winters primarily in the southern United States and northern Caribbean.


Source: Cornell Lab of Ornithology, All About Birds
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Palm_Warbler.html#coolfacts


Thanks for your help,
Craig

5 comments:

Leedra said...

Warbler instead of sparrow. Look at the bill, from what I can see the bill appears to be too small for a sparrow. Palm Warbler would be good starting place, but I am not saying that is it. Look and and compare everything you can see.

Leedra said...

Oh, and thank you for the kind comments you have been leaving me on my blog.

Anonymous said...

Craig,
I have to go along with Leedra;
looks like Palm Warbler to me too.
You and Scot are doing great!
Hap in New Hope

Craig Glenn said...

Thanks so much Leedra and Hap!

We are having a blast.

Craig

Shellmo said...

Beautiful palm warbler!