Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Snowy Egret

**********************************************************************************
UPDATE TO POST:

Thanks to my good friend Hap I now know that I misidentified this bird. This is in fact a Great Egret, not a snowy egret or even a great white heron. Here is some information for those want to learn as I enjoyed doing…

A large white heron, the Great Egret is found across much of the world, from southern Canada southward to Argentina, and in Europe, Africa, Asia, and Australia. It's the largest egret in the Old World, and thus has garnered the name Great White Egret. But in the Americas, the white form of the Great Blue Heron is larger and warrants that name. In the United States, the Great Egret used to be called the American Egret but that was hardly appropriate, since the species range extends beyond America and indeed farther than other herons.

Information provided by the Cornell Lab of Ornithology's All About Birds website.

Thanks again to Hap for keeping me straight in my quest to learn!


**********************************************************************************

This bird was so still that for a minute I thought it was one of those yard decorations, like the pink flamingo's. Maureen and I were at our local nursery and I snuck off to see what I could find. I found this little pond off the beating path and saw the most beautiful bird. But he was so still. Frozen in place not moving an inch. I snaped a few photo's but had a really bad sight line with all the bamboo. Not to mention the fact that I was certain someone was watching me laughing at the idiot taking pictures of the fake bird!




I ventured off around the bamboo and snuck up behind him. Got another shot and decided to get closer to see if he would move. Thank goodness he did and I was so excited that I wasn't nuts I missed the flight photo!





The numbers of these beautiful birds were greatly decreased when hunters sought after them for their feathers for ladies hats. Thanks to the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, they have rebounded.


Bad focus. So close...





I love how this shot turned out. The little boy fishing, the white fence, and the landing snowy egret.



Thanks for stopping by,

Craig

13 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I am glad it turned out to be a real one Craig. It is like when I go bug hunting and I end up taking a closer look at bird dung. LOL!! Thank goodness there is no one to see this. LOL!! See, I've confessed!! LOL!!

Kallen305 said...

Absolutely love that last two photos. I am going to have to print one of these photos and put them on my fridge so I know what one looks like for future reference becasue it's obvious I can't figure it out on my onw. ;o). I will see one w/ my own two eyes someday!

missbreezysbox said...

Love the photos.

Hannibal said...

Hi Craig,

Loved that the snowy landed by the fake fishing boy! Great story--Glad he was real!

jalynn01 said...

Don't you just love it when you sneak up and get the shot and then get the flight picture too and you were blessed with yet another shot with the water, fishin boy, and bird all at once. Lucky day for you!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Too bad the flight shot is not focused.I know how that is,but sometimes we have to settle for what we can get.Maybe next time.
Blessings,Ruth

Anonymous said...

Could this possibly be a Great Egret?
I am unable to discern yellow feet and
thin black bill. Maybe it's just the
angles and lighting that has me fooled.
Hap in New Hope

Craig Glenn said...

Well Hap once again you are correct! Thanks for stopping by first of all. I checked some other photo's I didn't post because of focus and sure enough, black feet. But I don't understand the long flowing feathers. The photo's I see of the GWH see shorter and close to the body. This bird had long flowing feathers all the way to the ground like the snowy... what am I missing.

Thanks again for helping me.

Craig

Anonymous said...

Craig, the plumes are apparent on most
if not all herons and egrets as breeding
season approaches. If by GWH you are
referring to Great White Heron, that is
a color morph of the Great-blue Heron that
has yellow legs and yellow beak; not to be
confused with Great Egret. Hope this helps
some.
Hap in New Hope

Anonymous said...

Craig, most, if not all herons and egrets
start showing plumes as breeding season
approaches. If by GWH you are referring
to Great White Heron, that is merely a
color morph of the Great-blue Heron; it
has both yellow beak and legs. Not to be
confused with Great Egret which has yellow
beak and black legs. Hope this helps some.
Hap in New Hope

Steve B said...

Wow, that bird in the second photo is the cock-of-the-rock with all those plumes! I'm liking that last shot too! And you can't go wrong with a good reflection shot.

Annie said...

wow..more great shots...good on you!

Annie

Leedra said...

So Hap has been visiting you too! Guess this is the one you mentioned to me while I was on vacation.

Leedra’s Photos For Fun

Leedra’s Greeting Cards

Photography By Leedra